This post is dedicated to anyone who may be wondering how to incorporate photographs into your home décor.
First of all, let’s be clear….our goal at Narrative is to empower you to express your own creativity at home. There is no right or wrong, no good or bad Narrative creation. Any image that is meaningful to you can make great photo décor.
But in case you are stumped, or just a little hesitant, here are a few ideas to get you started.
For the traveler…Celebrate your favorite trips with home accessories that showcase your adventures in a tasteful and sophisticated way.
- Outdoor landscapes and panoramic vistas make beautiful lampshades that bring the outdoors in. Remember the view from the top of the Grand Canyon, the sunset over the beach in Hawaii, the snowy mountain peaks in Switzerland, the colorful fishing boats dotting the Italian coastline.
- Photos of inspiring monuments and scenic vistas - with or without people – create amazing pillows and clocks. Zip lining in the mountains of Thailand, gazing up at the Eiffel Tower, a volcano rising about the Costa Rica rain forest, snuggling in the back of a Venetian gondola.
- For chairs, consider a close-up shot in vibrant color or black and white. It can be abstract or graphic: just a portion of the Dutch tulip fields, a few steps from the Great Wall of China, an art nouveau doorway from Prague.
For the gift giver…Commemorate special occasions with a meaningful gift that recognizes the milestones and passions of the recipient.
- For weddings, baby showers and new arrivals you may have too many photos from which to choose! Think about a pillow or clock with a favorite wedding photo, or a lampshade for baby’s nursery with a picture of mom and dad welcoming their new arrival.
- Delight graduates with reminders of the places they are leaving, or moving towards. A photo of their college campus, the skyline of their hometown, a landmark from their new city. Pillows and clocks are the perfect accessories to help grads settle into a new space.
- Celebrate birthdays, Christmas, Hanukah, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day with photo décor that recognizes a favorite hobby or important moment from the prior year. The grandkids all gathered at the family picnic, a view from inside the stadium of a favorite team, a close up of a smiling toddler or furry friend. Lampshades, pillows and clocks are all versatile gifts that can find a place in any home.
For the design aficionado…Add that perfect touch to complete your room in a way that is unique and personal.
- Choose photographs with a strong sense of color and texture. Close ups and nature images integrate well with most design styles. When possible, choose images that are both visually interesting and personally expressive. A shot of guitar strings for the music lover, a horse’s mane for the equestrian, a cloudy sky for the dreamer, waves crashing for the surfer.
- Make a statement using your photo to create an eye catching accent chair or desk chair.
- Incorporate art in your room in an unexpected place with a custom photo lampshade.
- Bring a twist to your throw pillow array by adding a one-of-a-kind photo pillow to the mix.
Now, what are you waiting for? Start looking through your phone or computer for the images that tell your story. The photo that makes you smile from deep inside…that’s the one that should become your first Narrative creation!