As I type to the sound of teeming rain outside my windows, there is no doubt I am eager for sunny days ahead. It has been an unseasonably cold, wet winter here in San Diego. Not at all what we Southern California dwellers like to brag about! But just because it’s nasty outside, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a boho beach vibe inside. A few interior decorations, a favorite photograph, or a can of paint can be all you need to transform your home into a sophisticated beachside oasis. Read on for five ocean inspired ideas for modern beach decor that works with any design style.
Photo via In the Fun Lane
Photo via Home Sweet Homemade
1. Driftwood Wall Hanging: Driftwood brings to mind wind swept beaches, but did you know that it can be found near lakes, rivers and even online? Grab one piece or several to upcycle into your very own beach-style wall art.
Photo and Design via Narrative Decor
Photo and Design by Narrative Decor
2. Ocean Photo Lampshade: Have a favorite beachside vacation spot? Be transported to the sand and surf year-round with a custom lampshade made from your personal travel photograph.
Photo via Life on Virginia Street
Photo via Au Courant Interiors
3. Sea Glass Accessories: Sea glass, the beach’s own jewel, serves as perfect inspiration for refreshing ocean inspired home accents. In muted shades of blue and green, clusters of sea glass accessories can make a big impact.
Photo and Design via Emily Henderson
4. Aerial Beach Photography: Make a statement, statement art that is, with a large scale photograph of a beach scene. As opposed to a gallery wall displaying multiple photos, adorning your wall with just one large, framed print makes for a more modern design.
Photo via Refunk My Junk
Photo via Elle Decor
Photo via Real Simple
5. Turquoise Ombre Paint: Bring the colors of the ocean indoors with a gradient paint effect. In gorgeous shades of turquoise, teal and blue, this creative decorating technique can be applied to furniture, walls or even a staircase.